March 22, 2008

Welcome Baby Boston!!


Little Boston is here! This might be the most exciting blog entry (for me) that I will ever write! We are so excited to welcome this new little baby into our lives. Boston Riley Sundberg was born Friday, March 21, 2008 at 5:06 p.m. at American Fork hospital. He weighed 6 lbs, 14oz and is 18 inches long. He has skinny little arms and legs and giant hands and feet! We are both doing very well, both healthy and feeling good. To see all of the pictures we took you can go to http://gallery.mac.com/brettsundberg
For those of you who are wondering how things went, I'll give you the minor details. He came exactly 2 weeks early, the Dr. stripped my membranes on Thursday afternoon and I started having regular contractions that night but not anything to rush to the hospital with. They kind of died down and I went to bed that night. The next morning I got up to get ready for work and was having regular, starting to be painful contractions that were about 3-4 minutes apart. I went to work, no idea why, pretty sure I was in major denial mode at this point, trying to pretend that he wasn't really going to come and I wasn't really going to have to do the whole labor thing... Anyway, I was there for about 3o min before I left again and went home to hurry and sraighten my house and pack a bag. We got to the hospital at 11:00am and I was a 3, 80% efaced. They let me lay there for an hour and during that time my contractions got really really painful. They cheked me after an hour and admitted me, I had progressed to a 4.5. I went upstairs, got an epidural which by the way was not nearly as bad as everyone made it sound but I also had a GREAT anesthesiologist, and then the Dr. came in and checked me again. I was a 5, he broke my water and then 2 hours later I was a 10. This freaked me out because I thought I would have just a little more time to mentally prepare, maybe take a nap but nope, it was go time. At this point, my family was about 30 min away on their way here from Boise. I started to feel pressure to push at which point the nurse told me to just keep my legs shut, haha. I did hold out for about another hour and my family made it there just in time. I did 3 sets of pushes, and he wasn't really doing anything. His little heart rate was dropping and not coming back up after pushing and we could tell the Dr. was getting worried. He mentioned using the vaccuum after the next set and then said if that didn't work we may have to hurry in to a c- section. When I heard that, both little Boston and I became very determined and he came out pretty much on the next push! :) So, all was well. I only pushed for about 25 min but I have never felt more exhausted in my life. Props to all of you who push for a couple of hours, I do not know how you do that!!! It was like heaven to hear that little cry and know that everything was all right.
Anyway, just wanted to let you all know how things went and that we are both healthy and happy and excited be home and spend lots of time together. I never imagined you could feel so much love for something so tiny. We feel so blessed and are so grateful to be able to have this new little baby in our lives!

14 comments:

Murray Family said...

Yay!! I've been waiting for this post!! CONGRATS!! I'm so happy for you guys. He is so adorable! And I'm glad everything went so smoothly. I can't wait to see more pics in the coming weeks of how everything's going and how he grows. It goes so by so quickly!

The Lindsey's said...

Congrats! I"m so excited for you guys. I can't wait to see how quick he grows and how much fun you'll all have together. I was tearing up just reading about your experience and remembering how sweet it really is to give birth and hear the first cries, and you really never understand that feeling until it happens to you- and I'm so glad you were able to feel that =)

Nicole Leavitt said...

Congrats on your baby boy Rachael! He is darling! You will be such a great mom and Im so excited for you to be able to experience that! I hope you have a speedy recovery! Take care!

Cameron Family said...

Congratulations! He is such a cutie and you are going to have so much fun with him! Looks like I need to make a visit! Let me know when you are up for visitors at the house!

Jill Revell said...

That is so awesome! Congrats! What a beautiful baby boy! They grow SO fast so take lots of pictures!

Tiffany said...

YAY!!! Congratulations!!! He is so adorable, we are so excited for you! You make it look and sound so easy...you look great in your pictures! I'm glad things went so well for you and I LOVE the name Boston! Can't wait to hear and see more pictures!!!

Jennie Minor said...

He is SOOO cute! Congrats Rach! I loved reading about the labor and delivery (I am a little freaked out to say the least). Glad that Boston and you are doing well and are both healthy. Maybe next time I am in Utah we can get together. Congrats again!

Julia said...

Yay! Congrats! I'm so excited for you. He's so cute! Glad you're all doing well!

amy said...

That is my favorite picture! He is already posing and being quite the lady's man. Ry is very happy that you chose to go with Riley as the middle name. She just asked, "was Brett Ok with it?"(obviously) We can't wait to come see you again. I love that I have a little man to spoil and love on and I can't wait to babysit!

Cisneros Family said...

Congratulations Rachael and Brett!! He is adorable. I am so excited Sage can now have a boyfriend. I am glad things are going well.

Raenae said...

Congratulations! I'm glad you and the baby are both feeling good and doing well. He's a cutie!

Meg said...

THIS IS SO EXCITING and I LOVED the details of it! It made ms so happy to see his little picture... So excited for you both! You are going to be such an amazing mom!

Jenny said...

Oh, pictures of such an adorable newborn make my womb ache. Too bad I have a 7 month old. lol. Welcome to the world little Boston. Congrats Rachael and Brett! I'm so excited for you. I can't wait until I visit in June and can see the little bug.

Ashley said...

Oh my goodness! Boston is beautiful! (Or should i say handsone?) haha! Congrats!

Ashley Sundberg